Re: IAOC, travel and hotel prices (was RE: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?)

2011-08-25 00:05:57
On 8/24/2011 8:31 PM, George, Wesley wrote:
I’ve been watching this discussion across several attendee lists,
plenaries, etc and it appears that we have a routing loop.

Perhaps it’s time for those who seem most concerned about this to author
a BCP draft regarding IETF meeting venue and hotel selection policies
that addresses this, so that IAOC has a bit clearer instructions and a
documented policy based on community consensus, rather than this
discussion continuing to come up every couple of meetings, and the
general response from the IAOC being “this is hard, we’re doing the best
we can… [example, explanation]”

I think that a large part of the problem is that the IAOC is attempting
to satisfy policies based upon consensus.  Unfortunately, the consensus
seems to be largely centered around convenience (if not outright
luxury), a goal that is mostly incompatible with cost containment.  Most
people seem to want to be able to commute to sessions by (at most)
walking across the street, more preferably via elevator.  A large
conveniently located bar is very popular, as well.  Convenience costs money.