Re: 2119bis

2011-08-31 10:44:19

Unless of course one considers us the Protocol Nanny's(tm) - if do not do a
SHOULD, we will send you to bed without your treacle! I.e., there IS NO
DISTINCTION BETWEEN A BARE SHOULD AND A MAY.

Of course there is. Its the distinction between -

Qualified SHOULD) Here lie dragons. Take the recommended route, unless you know
how to fight them.

Unqualified SHOULD) Here lie some dangers. Check with someone who knows, or
take the recommended route.

MAY) Here's an area. You could go there.

Of course, the first and last pieces of text are preferred. But sometimes no
one was brave enough to explore the area, so we don't actually know what
dangers there are, they cannot be listed.

Jari