Re: 2119bis

2011-08-29 21:46:03

On Aug 29, 2011, at 9:47 PM, ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

Hi -

From: "Eric Burger" <eburger-l(_at_)standardstrack(_dot_)com>
To: "Narten Thomas" <narten(_at_)us(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>; "Saint-Andre
Peter" <stpeter(_at_)stpeter(_dot_)im>
Cc: "IETF discussion list" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: 2119bis

I would assume in the text of the document.  This paragraph is simply an
enumeration of Burger's Axiom:
For every SHOULD, there must be an UNLESS, otherwise the SHOULD is a MAY.

I disagree.

I concur with your disagreement. SHOULD should *not* be used when the
list of exceptions is known and practically enumerable.

If the "UNLESS" cases can be fully enumerated, then
"SHOULD x UNLESS y" is equivalent to "WHEN NOT y MUST X."
(Both beg the question of whether we would need to spell out that
"WHEN y MUST NOT X" is not necessarily an appropriate inference.)

RFC 2119 SHOULD is appropriate when the "UNLESS" cases are
known (or suspected) to exist, but it is not practical to exhaustively
identify them all.

Let's not gild this lily.

+1

                              Ned