Other proposals (Was: :Re: Conclusion of the last call on draft-housley-two-maturity-levels)

2011-09-02 17:06:17
SM,

The Sponsoring Area Director mentioned that the opposing opinions were more
about a desire to do something else than specific objections about this
proposal.  An Area Director generally sponsors documents that he or she
believes in.  I would like to point out that even if a desire to do something
else was tabled as a proposal, my perception is that it would be difficult to
have such a proposal sponsored by the relevant Area Director.

I already responded to Scott, clarifying what I had said about the objections.

But what I really wanted to say here was a response to your concern about those
proposals to do something else. Let me just state this clearly. I know I would
be VERY happy to sponsor many different kinds of improvement proposals. In
sequence or in parallel with the current proposal. I'm already sponsoring
another one (though it is destined to an IESG statement and somewhat related to
this one, but it could have been something else too). I think I'm speaking also
for the rest of the IESG in this. Please make the proposals.

Of course, this does not mean that I would sponsor anything -- I do have to
believe in it, I do have to think it has a reasonable chance of success. And
I'm not too eager to take draft-grand-unified-theory-of-ietf-process-00.txt
while everything else has to sit still. But if you have been sending e-mail to
the list that we should not waste our time with Russ' draft and that we should
do something else instead -- here's an idea. Send that something to us, and
we'll get it done! Simple, no?

Jari