Expiring a publication - especially standards track documents which are abandoned

2011-09-04 09:23:12
There are any number of IETF RFC's which were published and then accepted in the community under the proviso 'that they would become IETF standards' which in many instances they do not. Further many of them are abandoned in an uncompleted mode as standards efforts.

To that end I would like to propose the idea that any IETF RFC which is submitted to the Standards Track which has sat unchanged in a NON-STANDARD status for more than 3 years is struck down and removed formally from the Standards Track because of failure to perform on the continued commitment to evolve those standards.

Why this is necessary is that the IETF has become a tool of companies which are trying to get specific IETF approval for their wares and protocols - whether they are open in form or not. The IETF entered into a contract with these people to establish their standard and published those documents on the standards track so that they would be completed. Since they have not been completed as IETF Standards the Project Managers for those submissions have formally breached their contract to complete that process with both their WG members who vetted those works as well as the rest of the IETF's relying parties.

As such it is reasonable to put a BURN DATE on any Standards Track effort which has stalled or stopped dead in its tracks for years.

Todd Glassey

--
Todd S. Glassey
This is from my personal email account and any materials from this account come

Further I OPT OUT of any and all commercial emailings.