RE: 2119bis

2011-09-04 06:23:02
I agree with several who have already voiced objections to obsoleting 2119.

On the other hand, a BCP on conformance keyword usage could be useful.

In addition to the clarification of the use of SHOULD
(that is being discussed at length),
I would like to see a clarification of the difference between MUST and metaMUST
(or supportMUST or interopMUST) and regular/meta similar terms for SHOULD, MAY,
etc.
and examples of their use.

By that I mean the difference between
     MUST:   When sending a foo message you MUST include the bar TLV
 metaMUST:   All implementations MUST support the bar TLV
the latter meaning that bar is not always sent,
but if sent it must be properly processed.

There is an (AFAIK unwritten) rule about metaMUST,
that I believe SHOULD be documented.
If the protocol allows several options for doing something,
precisely one MUST be a metaMUST, and the others metaMAYs.

Note that the MUST in the previous sentence is MUST about
the use of a metaMUST, and is this a metametaMUST.
I am not sure if the previous SHOULD is a meta^2SHOULD or a meta^3SHOULD.

Y(J)S