Re: 2119bis

2011-09-04 14:56:24
Michael Richardson wrote:
"Keith" == Keith Moore <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> writes:
    >> In my view, SHOULD are user protocol options to set.

    Keith> In my view, SHOULD should rarely be used for optional
    Keith> protocol features, because optional protocol features should
    Keith> themselves be rare.  And the primary purpose of SHOULD is not
    Keith> to permit optional protocol features.

Let me give an example of where I think SHOULD is useful:
    a TLS end-point SHOULD verify the received certificate against
    a trusted anchor.

Removing this requirement in SMTP-TLS has meant that we now have
opportunistically encrypted email transmission.  It makes sense for the
TLS library to have this option.
In a web browser, the same SHOULD is much more controversial.

Some TLS libraries have this as a MUST, and there is all sorts of
trouble for people implementing other protocols or authentication
mechanisms over TLS.

+1

The issue here, in my technical opinion, is the difference in the functionality.

With HTTP, you have the design ergonomics options for interactive I/O with the user to allow the user (giving him the benefit of doubts) to decide.

With SMTP, it is inherently designed for automated decisions. I guess one can suggest it is technically possible by having user decisions predefined. But for SMTP-TLS, we have a chicken and egg design problem - what comes first the SYSTEM or the USER? SMTP-TLS is decided before the USER is known, but is not inconceivable to have a belated automated SMTP-TLS state decision made until the target user is known.

--
HLS