Re: 2119bis

2011-09-12 17:34:05

On 9/3/2011 7:14 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
     On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Martin Sustrik wrote:

     >  For an implementor it's often pretty hard to decide whether to
     >  implement functionality marked as SHOULD given that he has zero context
     >  and no idea whether the reason he has for not implementing the feature
is
     >  at all in line with RFC authors' intentions.

For me, I would say that unless the implementor in question has experience in
designing protocols, and fairly deep understanding of that particular area, they
are not in a position to make a good judgement on whether or not they can ignore
a 'SHOULD'.

FWIW, IMO "SHOULD" should only be used in docs when accompanied by a description of a known or suspected exception case.

Otherwise it's just a wiggle-word variant of MUST, and there's no point in being vague in a spec.

Joe