Re: Conclusion of the last call on draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

2011-09-06 18:34:06
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Keith Moore
<moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com>wrote:

On Sep 6, 2011, at 5:35 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:

The document doesn't actually say out loud there that the requirements for
Proposed Standard have been considerably increased by IESG practice over the
years, nor does it charge subsequent IESGs to return to a faithful reading
of the actual text.

Is IESG really misreading "no known technical omissions with respect to the
requirements placed on it"?

Read further to:

   However, since the content of Proposed Standards may be changed if
   problems are found or better solutions are identified, deploying
   implementations of such standards into a disruption-sensitive
   environment is not recommended.

The IESG has been working to the assumption that Proposed Standards will be
widely deployed into all environments for a long time.  That may well be an
appropriate response to the deployment practice (heck, if "the internet runs
on internet drafts" we're lucky that we don't have an IESG review step
before i-d publication).  But if the result of this exercise is that the bar
for PS stays as-is and the bar for the second stage merges, we will retain
what is a functionally a one-stage standards process.  We can certainly live
with that (we live with it now), but it means we are changing out a standard
that doesn't accurately reflect what we do now for one that doesn't
accurately reflect what we will do.

regards,

Ted

If the bar has been raised since the publication of 2026, might this
actually be reasonable given that the Internet is much larger, more diverse,
and more hostile than it used to be?

Keith