Re: TSVDIR review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-dns-srv-namespace

2011-09-12 13:42:17
I think at this point we're just talking past each other, but I simply disagree
with your assertion that RFC 2782 should be taken as a prohibition on using SRV
RRs in any way other than defined in RFC 2782.

My bigger concern is why you insist on wanting to play in the SRV sandbox and
change the rules, but won't consider defining your own RR, or even your own
service for lookup.

You can't have it both ways - you cannot benefit from the distribution of
stable code based on standards and declare that you aren't required to follow
those standards.

Frankly, I'm not sure that it's feasible to define a generic service
location/selection facility (using DNS or LDAP or anything else) that will be
applicable to a wide range of services.

That's why I'm arguing against a Procrustean interpretation of the definition
of the SRV RR (trying to make all apps fit into one bed, so to speak).  Let the
apps that can make good use of the SRV RR as it's defined do so even if they
don't use labels the same way as specified in RFC 2782.    Let the other apps
define a way to use use TXT RRs, or define their own RRs.   But I think the
mechanism is almost inevitably going to need to be application-specific.

Keith