Re: [nfsv4] TSVDIR review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-dns-srv-namespace

2011-09-13 10:41:20
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Joe Touch <touch(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu> wrote:
On 9/12/2011 8:03 AM, Nico Williams wrote:
You're locating the NFS service. You're using that to setup a domainroot.
The former is a DNS SRV issue. The latter is an endhost configuration issue.

No.  We do not normally locate the NFS service.  If you know a server,
that's the server hosting the NFS service.  This is a distinct concept
to "NFS server".  And the whole point is to avoid end host
configuration, if by end host you mean the *client*.

Microsoft's approach is to basically define a specific pattern to their
FQDNs - using nonstandard syntax - to indicate that the server is a MS
product:

I don't agree with this approach; most others who use SRV records use TXT
fields, and RFC 3088 provides a correct example of SRV use for LDAP.

I'm uninterested in saying no to plainly working and deployed
solutions out of dogmatic inflexibility.  Update RFC2782 if you like.

If it's time to go update RFC2782, well, let's, but let's not hold up
the rest of the world over it.

It's up to you if you want to start by redefining SRV records.

I'm unwilling to do that because I don't believe we have to.

I'm even less willing to use TXT RRs to duplicate SRV RR functionality.

Nico