Re: [nfsv4] TSVDIR review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-dns-srv-namespace

2011-09-13 10:42:01
Joe Touch wrote:

Either this is an nfs service or it isn't.

If it is, then it should be using _nfs._tcp.example.com, etc. If it isn't, then:
    a) a new service name is required
    which then *requires*
    b) a new port number be assigned

This doesn't show any real understanding of what we're actually
trying to do.  To recap:

We don't want to enumerate all NFS servers in a domain.  That is
not an interesting enumeration.  We want to find certain ones that
are known to share a "domain root" (hence the syntax we chose).

When we find those servers, we will talk NFSv4 to them (not a new
service).  And we will talk NFSv4 on port 2049 (not a new port).

Your proposal above makes things worse in that it will no longer
be clear what the SRV record means.  It also ensures that we have a
problem if we ever want to enumerate other subsets of NFS servers
(none of which have been discussed).

Rob T