Re: [nfsv4] TSVDIR review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-dns-srv-namespace

2011-09-12 15:24:52

On 9/12/2011 1:17 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Joe Touch<touch(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu>  wrote:
On 9/12/2011 1:00 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Joe Touch<touch(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu>    wrote:
On 9/12/2011 12:00 PM, Robert Thurlow wrote:
No.... We don't want to enumerate *all* NFSv4 servers in a domain.  We
want to enumerate all NFSv4 domain-root servers in a domain.  Slight
difference.

I know what you *want* to do. But short of assigning another port number for
that capability and getting another service name, this simply isn't a
service in the IANA service/port numbers sense, so I'm not surprised it
doesn't uniquely map to SRV records.

I don't think that's the correct way to go about this.  I see nothing
wrong with what's proposed.  I say we let the LC run and see where we
stand on consensus at the end.  If we end up on the rough side of
consensus, so be it -- in that case then I think we'd want to
undertake an update of RFC2782, rather than bend to it.  We want to do
what's right.

I believe have made my position on behalf of the TSVDIR clear.

Joe