Re: [nfsv4] TSVDIR review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-dns-srv-namespace

2011-09-12 15:21:19
On Sep 12, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Joe Touch wrote:

On 9/12/2011 11:46 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
On Sep 12, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Joe Touch wrote:

The issue is that if this document wants to go outside the spec, *it*
needs to update RFC2782 - and survive the discussion that will incur.

Well, in a pedantic sense I'm sure that's true. But it doesn't need to
update RFC2782 as it pertains to anything but the ability to locate a
certain subset of NFS-based services. It certainly doesn't have to
change how SRV works with respect to other protocols.

That's trivially true for all protocol variations - they're all as local as
you define them.

But again if that's your goal - a ships-in-the-night variant - you should
consider doing declaring a new RR type. That's the point of the RR type - to
indicate when the interpretation of an RR changes.

You and I both know that RR types are limited in number, require significant
time and effort to define, and can take many years to deploy to the point where
applications can expect to use them.  Which, I suppose, is why people keep
trying to use SRV even for situations in which it's poorly suited - it's too
much trouble to define and deploy a new one.

I'm merely suggesting that the 2782 definition should be relaxed a bit and in a
way that's compatible with existing DNS server code.   Perhaps the appropriate
thing to do is to publish a separate document that updates 2782 and explains
this.

Keith