Re: Wikis for RFCs

2011-09-16 15:40:27
Keith,

I think we already have the basis for this with the "tools" already there when viewing an I-D, RFC via the tools.ietf.org url.

For example, in the last I-D submission I got, the email message did not have this link (but it should):

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lodderstedt-oauth-revocation-03

and it has all the top menu items, including NITS.

A relatively small plug and play "experimental" software change would add "USER COMMENTS" and it will be displayed at the bottom. This would be the simply migration change to start this - we call it for our own File Library system "Follow up Comments" but its the same model for a message follow up concept - the toughest part is the ergonomics, so the suggestion is to first do it as a flat "blog" like display just to get the framework.

Someone can explore this today as an independent wrapper on some other site using the official tools.ietf.org url. Then the IETF can decide to implement it as an experiment. I would personally suggest to do it with I-D first.

A few great benefits I see:

  - user interest,
  - faster corrections for author to consolidate,
  - measure it for an official WG proposal,
  - wider, single source input (although the WG would
    eventually accomplish this too).

etc.

I see a lot of synergism developing here if its taking serious and explored first with maybe I-D first using a simply user follow-up concept.

Again, the only real battle if this is a membership concept for the IETF - I think it should be. Simple:

   Email Address:
   Password:
   Display name:
   Real Name: [optional]

Use CAPTCHA input to hope avoid automated blasting.

I have no problem if Anonymous input is decided to be allowed. Maybe that could be the author decision. The author should have ultimate control to deleted abusive input and when the follow up periods are over.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com

hector wrote:
My view since we do these user collaboration, "group ware" online hosting software for a Living.... and deal with this "evolutionary" ideas that always seem to be better but not always applicable.

Realistically, it has to be single source and as a migration, I think it should be explored where the IETF links to the I-D have a user followup/comment systems ala the PHP example (but there are many others). For sure the I-D. For RFC, the "Request For Comment" still apply but not sure "How Much" more you want - some difference I think.

The only main issue is the decision of "membership" vs "anonymous" input. That is always the main issue with any sort of group ware concept. The Author should be some responsibility (e.g. the Moderator of the input).

The IETF can just supply the tool, the backend software for this.