RE: Wikis for RFCs

2011-09-19 01:23:00
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Joel jaeggli
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:18 AM
To: Keith Moore
Cc: hector; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Wikis for RFCs

One of the assumptions here is that discussion without editorial
discretion can add color to static informaion. While the case for that
can certainly be made, we have abundant evidence of it not doing so in
the context of ietf mailing lists.

I think I agree that a wiki page for every RFC is too chaotic an idea to be
workable.  The lists are noisy enough already.

It seems to me that if we want the capability to write down and then publish
some observations about protocol implementation including problems with the
specs or operational considerations, the implementation reports space is
perfect for this.  They're already required when things advance from PS to DS,
but there's nothing I've seen that says particularly useful information can't
be written up and recorded through the same means.  If and when the advancement
day comes for that protocol, the information can then be put to good use.

The only question is whether or not they can be updated once published.  I
suppose we'd need a mechanism for that.  Currently that's the IESG, and I
imagine that's not something that should stand for very long.  Maybe we could
use Expert Review to create or update them, except in cases where the
implementation report is part of a standards track advancement effort in which
case it has to be the IESG.

Failing that: Have we already thrown out the idea of an Informational or BCP
publication when there's sufficient collected wisdom about a protocol to write
down some observations?  I think I'd rather read something that has a chance of
having garnered consensus and review rather than something that's potentially
tainted by the last person to click "Submit" on a wiki page.

-MSK