Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-03.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Transition Space) to Informational RFC

2011-09-23 16:41:31
Hi, Brian.

On 9/23/11 3:40 PM, "Brian E Carpenter"
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
On 2011-09-23 17:21, Benson Schliesser wrote:

However, I would like to make sure we don't lose sight of the need
for some urgency with draft-weil.

I'm a little puzzled by the claim of urgency; I remember hearing in
July 2008 that doom was imminent if this was not done immediately.

I thought that the urgent issue was deploying IPv6.

I agree; no doubt, deploying IPv6 is urgent. But, unfortunately, operators
often face multiple urgent issues at the same time.

In any case, the urgency that I referred to is a reflection of advice from
various ARIN leaders. Obviously, there is a future date at which ARIN will
be unable to donate the /10 prefix because of IPv4 inventory exhaustion.
More near-term is the prospect that operators will deploy CGN using global
unicast addresses. This might have negative repercussions for the operator
and/or their users, along the lines of scope detection etc. It definitely
has negative repercussions for the rate at which RIR inventories are
exhausted.

In other words, the sooner we act, the more benefit this reservation will
have. That doesn't imply that we have so little time we are unable to
address the issues raised by the IESG. But we certainly don't have the sort
of time that many drafts commonly require, per the stats at
http://www.arkko.com/tools/lifecyclestats.html for example.

Cheers,
-Benson