RE: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-03.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Transition Space) to Informational RFC

2011-09-23 08:58:29
-----Original Message-----
From: Jari Arkko [mailto:jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net]
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:59 PM
To: George, Wes
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request(_at_)tools(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org;
draft-bdgks-arin-shared-transition-space(_at_)tools(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-03.txt>
(IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Transition Space) to Informational RFC

what I am asking should not be a long piece of text or require a huge amount of
analysis. Basically, it should state that the effects are <here> and that these
undesirable <implications> may be seen, and that <this type of IETF
specifications> need revision. Making those actual revisions should be done in
separate documents.

WEG] Jari, effects and implications probably wouldn't add much. However, I'm
wondering about the value of maintaining two separate drafts (-weil and bdgks)
if weil is now being asked to include these things that are mostly already
covered in bdgks.
Regarding "<this type of IETF specifications> need revision" - would you be ok
with something like, "any existing standard that prescribes different behavior
in the presence of RFC1918 (or non-unique) addresses will need to be
evaluated." ?
If you're wanting something more in-depth than that, I think you're
underestimating the work involved. That in and of itself could be a whole
draft. If we're going to undertake it, I don't want to do it half-assed, and I
would rather not see it be gating to these drafts.

But if we are unsure and somehow asked ARIN to make the reservation anyway,
the address space would already be nailed down, the knowledge of the actual
usable space would leak and everyone would be using it anyway.
WEG] I think that this is a minor concern at best. ARIN can be explicitly
instructed not to divulge the reservation. This is something that could be
reserved internally by ARIN staff without publishing it publicly.

Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.