RE: Last Call: <draft-jdfalk-maawg-cfblbcp-02.txt> (Complaint Feedback Loop Operational Recommendations) to Informational RFC

2011-10-04 23:28:43
-----Original Message-----
From: J.D. Falk [mailto:jdfalk-lists(_at_)cybernothing(_dot_)org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 9:09 AM
To: Barry Leiba
Cc: Murray S. Kucherawy; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-jdfalk-maawg-cfblbcp-02.txt> (Complaint
Feedback Loop Operational Recommendations) to Informational RFC

"About MAAWG

  MAAWG [1] is the largest global industry association working against
  Spam, viruses, denial-of-service attacks and other online
  exploitation.  Its' members include ISPs, network and mobile
  operators, key technology providers and volume sender organizations.
  It represents over one billion mailboxes worldwide and its membership
  contributed their expertise in developing this description of current
  Feedback Loop practices."

Could the PR blurb be removed?

I think it's useful in this document.  People reading IETF documents
aren't likely to know what MAAWG is, and a short paragraph doesn't
seem untoward.  I'd agree, if there were excessively long text for
this, but it's brief.

MAAWG will insist on keeping this.  The primary purpose, in my mind, is
to show that even though this wasn't written within the IETF it was
still written by people who really do know what they're talking about.

I support its inclusion based on this, and simply to provide some context about
what MAAWG is.  To Frank's comment, I suggest changing "the largest" to "a
large", and leaving the rest as-is.  If people really hate its placement
up-front, perhaps it could appear in an appendix instead, but I'm fine with it
where it is.

I don't think the IETF needs to be too worried about publishing an
externally-generated document as an RFC given that it's Informational only, and
is directly related to work that is going on in a current working group.  I
suspect it would be more of a concern if it were re-publishing something onto
the Standards Track without sending it through a working group first.

(And "Its'" should be "Its".)

-MSK