R: [mpls] FW: Last Call: <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations-01.txt> (The Reasons for Selecting a Single Solution for MPLS-TP OAM) to Informational RFC

2011-10-05 13:06:18
Dear all,
I do not support.

Basically I think it is superfluous dedicate an RFC to state it is better
having one standard instead of two ones or many... for sure the lower are the
variants the better is for the industry (one is the ideal).

When two or more standards or de-facto standards exist it is because the
problem they solve is not exactly the same, the way they solve the problem is
optimized for different environments/boundary conditions (more efficient, more
effective, etc). Therefore a single solution does not necessarily meet the
different market requirements.

It is fundamental to enter into the problem's details before making
consideration about the best way to proceed (one solution, two solutions,
multiple solutions) whilst the document clearly declares it does not want to
make any technical evaluations.

After more than three years of debates within the IETF and major unresolved
technical concerns risen from some transport operators, the existence of this
draft is by itself the sure sign that MPLS-TP OAM is a case where a single
solution has not be found to meet all the different market requirements.
Otherwise, why are we still discussing about it....?

Therefore we must be realistic and the lessons learned from the past should
guide our decisions: if a solution cannot be found for satisfying all the
requirements it is better to have two standards and let the market decide how
to exploit them. Are  we really sure the cost(many) / benefit (none) analysis
done in section 7.5 is realistic?

Best regards,
Alessandro

Telecom Italia