two small points, RE: Last Call: <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations-01.txt> (The Reasons for Selecting a Single Solution for MPLS-TP OAM) to Informational RFC

2011-10-09 23:44:33

   it is technically feasible that the
   existing MPLS architecture can be extended to meet the requirements
   of a Transport profile, and that the architecture allows for a single
   OAM technology for LSPs, PWs, and a deeply nested network.

The "OAM technology" in this text refers to to way the OAM frames can be
detected in a data-stream.

During the JWT effort, I did not interpret the term "OAM technology" to be
strictly limited to just the manner in which OAM frames are detected in the
data-stream. I interpreted this in a broader sense.

Looking at the current discussions, there is no consensus (yet)
on whether we need a comprehensive set of OAM tools, or a very
limited set of OAM tools.

I don't understand this comment. We have requirements documents that have been
agreed and published, and that carefully lay out a list of capabilities that
need to be available. We need tools that fulfill these requirements. Perhaps I
am not sure what distinction you make between "comprehensive set of OAM tools"
versus "limited set of OAM tools".

Ross