RE: Last Call: <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations-01.txt> (The Reasons for Selecting a Single Solution for MPLS-TP OAM) to Informational RFC

2011-10-09 23:16:01
Speaking only as an individual, I also support publication of this document as
an informational RFC.

I agree with many comments that the SONET discussion in section 5.1 should be
deleted, and I would suggest that all of sections 4 and 5 be deleted.

I was involved in the controversy that created both IS-IS and OSPF (as well as
in the significant cooperation on protocol details that was going on in the
background at the same time) and I think that the section on IS-IS and OSPF is
mostly correct (even if I would have worded some of it a bit differently). One
change I would make to this section is changing "more than doubles the cost of
link state IGP maintenance and deployment" to be "doubles the cost of link
state IGP maintenance". Also "derive from the same root document" should be
"derive from the same root technology". Of course if sections 4 and 5 are
deleted then there is no need to make these minor corrections to section 4.1.

Regarding Russ's comment "...only one OAM solution should become a standard". I
might note that there is considerable precedent in the IETF for publishing one
standard, but also publishing informational RFCs that document other solutions
that were considered in the IETF effort and that have been deployed. There
certainly are many cases of pre-standard or non-standard solutions being
deployed (often before IETF standards were finished) and in these cases I have
long felt that it is desirable to document what has been deployed.

Ross