Re: Last Call: <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations-01.txt> (The Reasons for Selecting a Single Solution for MPLS-TP OAM) to Informational RFC - comment 2

2011-10-14 09:37:23
All,

I agree with the reply from Malcolm below and support his
suggested text insertion.

And repeat that slide 113 is a *summary*.
The *single* refers to the GAL - G-Ach discussion
with the *solution* on slides 19 and 20
and the observations in slides 21 and 22.

Regards, Huub.

===============

Malcolm replied:

I cannot find section 1.1 or the text "one OAM solution" in the PDF
version of RFC 5317.

The last paragraph of section 1 states:

In the case of a conflict between the summary and the
slides, the slides take precedence. Since those slides were the
basis of an important agreement between the IETF and the ITU-T, it
should further be noted that in the event that the PDF version of the
slides differs from those emailed to ITU-T and IETF management on 18
April 2008 by the co-chairs of the JWT, the emailed slides take
precedence.

The full quote from slide 12 is:
 > This presentation is a collection of assumptions, discussion points and
 > decisions that the combined group has had during the months of March and
 > April, 2008
 > This represents the **agreed upon starting point** for the technical
 > analysis of the T-MPLS requirements from the ITU-T and the MPLS
 > architecture to meet those requirements

I must also remind you that the JWT did not have the power to make
decision for the ITU or IETF as stated in TD515/PLEN that established
the ad group on MPLS-TP and the JWT:

"The Joint Working Team is the union of the ad hoc and design teams. It
has no official affiliation or status with either the ITU-T or the IETF
but will provide a forum for open communication and cooperative work"

This is aligned with normal process in the IETF where a design team
cannot make decisions for a Working Group.

Therefore, my proposed clarification of the context of the "one
solution" statement should be included in
draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations.

Regards,

Malcolm

*Loa Andersson <loa(_at_)pi(_dot_)nu>*

14/10/2011 02:15 AM

        Malcolm(_dot_)BETTS(_at_)zte(_dot_)com(_dot_)cn
cc
        Ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject
        Re: Last Call: <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations-01.txt> (The
Reasons for Selecting a Single Solution for MPLS-TP OAM) to
Informational RFC

All,

juat one small comment on how "slide 12" of the JWT report is (mis)used
in this debate.

The text says:

" This presentation is a collection of assumptions, discussion points
and decisions that the combined group has had during the months of
March and April, 2008."

The paragraph is correct and it says that the presentation includes
- assumptions
- discussion points
- decisions

The statement on "one OAM solution" from section 1.1 of RFC5317 clearly
falls into the *decision* category. As such it rather support
publishing the draft rather than indicating that we shouldn't.

/Loa