RE: Requirement to go to meetings

2011-10-24 08:09:27

      Cheaper, yes. Easier?

      Sure, a 5-hour flight to Paris sure beats a 12-hour flight to New York
plus a 4 hour flight to
      Minneapolis, but you end up in Paris, and if the conference hotel is
too expensive for your
      corporate budget (it usually is for mine), you have to go really far
away to find a hotel that
      fits the budget and is not a fleabag. OTOH any city in the US except
the really huge ones
      (NY or LA) you can find perfectly good hotels that feature breakfast,
Internet and a spacious
      room for way lower than the Hilton rates, and not at all far from the
conference. In Anaheim
      I found a hotel at half price at 10 minutes walk time from the Hilton.
And maybe it's just me,
      but with US hotels, it's far easier to tell the fleabags from the
acceptable hotels than in
      Europe.

      Asia is even tougher. Flying to Taipei will take me to Paris and Hong
Kong. And I have no
      idea how to tell a good hotel from a bad one. I'll have to trust the
travel agent.

...or TripAdvisor.

People from other parts of the world probably have the same problem when
travelling to US, but with a little bit of research effort I think it's pretty
easy to get a picture of the hotel, how far it is from the meeting etc.

Regards,

Christer