Re: Anotherj RFP without IETF community input

2011-10-24 08:11:41
Henk Uijterwaal <henk(_dot_)uijterwaal(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
On 21/10/2011 16:54, Simon Pietro Romano wrote:

I can state for sure that we have used Meetecho for remote
presentations in Hiroshima, in the mediactrl WG meeting: interaction
happens in real-time.

   I don't have enough experience with Meetecho to guess what
"real-time" means here. I have heard folk seriously claim that
ten-second delay is still "real-time".

Actually, this is true for all tools that I've seen, but it isn't
perfect yet and I wonder if it will ever be.

   "Perfect" probably isn't a useful concept. Brian Rosen tells us that
150 milliseconds is "barely good enough" -- in my experience there's
a great-wall-of-china effect at about one-second delay: when it goes
beyond that folks get really exasperated trying to get their ideas
out in a timely fashion.

   150 milliseconds is a real challenge to accomplish worldwide, though
it's quite achievable within one continent. I expect IETF folks could
learn to work with 250 milliseconds.

   But terms like "real-time" and "perfect" don't help. Can we avoid
them?

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>