Re: Anotherj RFP without IETF community input

2011-10-20 09:08:48
On Thu Oct 20 14:33:43 2011, Simon Perreault wrote:
On 2011-10-20 08:41, George, Wes wrote:
> I'm also completely mystified as to why IPv6 support for all
> proposed/requested features is not an explicitly stated requirement,
> even at this phase.

And more generally, this should be considered an opportunity for
dogfooding the protocols we create. IPv6 is one of them. SIP, RTP, the
XCON stuff, and XMPP could be others.

Right - the current system is XEP-0045 (an XSF thing) over XMPP (an IETF thing), supplemented by MP3 over HTTP for audio. The chatrooms I find fine - if anyone has suggestions for what else those need to do I'd appreciate knowing (as would the rest of the participants in the standards group at the XSF).

Having audio fed over RTP would be an obvious first step, and that could be negotiable by both XMPP and SIP clients.

As a remote participant for the vast majority of IETFs I've (not?) attended, I'd humbly suggest that the most useful things a remote participant can have are reasonably synchronized audio (instead of several seconds delay, which makes timely responses difficult) and ensuring that the chatrooms are visible in the physical room (thus making all in-room participants aware of the chatroom's remote participants and what their input is). A second projector and screen in the room is embarrassingly low-tech, but very effective.

I can see the utility of having some kind of screencast thing for the slides, although as a rule, I hate slides, so this comes a distant third. Being able to downlaod them and sing along at home is just fine.

I don't particularly care if my actual voice isn't heard in the room. I understand that many will miss my dulcet tones, of course, but the thing I really want to be able to do, as a remote participant, is participate.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)dave(_dot_)cridland(_dot_)net