Re: Anotherj RFP without IETF community input

2011-10-24 12:13:53
On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

300 to 400 milliseconds to the antipodes and back (i.e., RTT) is pretty
realistic (say, US to Australia*). To that has to be added codec delays
(each frame of 30 fps video represents ~30 msec);100+ msec one way video
codec delays are common. If you add all of that up, you get enough latency
that it begins to be noticeable, even in a formal meeting, for links such as
US-India and US-Australia.

Yes, that is my understanding as well, I seldom see more than ~400ms RTT (all bets are off when there is buffering of course) to anywhere in the world. Some of the worst are when it's going longer than antipode, ie Europe->US->Japan->Singapore, but usually even with that it's around 400ms when it's at its worst.

I'd say that considering network delay is 400ms RTT, that means with codec delays etc this can be made to work at formal meetings. It's not the same as being in the room, but it can be made to work (if the analogy is to walk up to the mic and make a statement instead of having an argument).

Then again, I don't know how much this will help since I blieve a lot of work is not being done in the meetings, but in f2f discussions outside of meetings?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike(_at_)swm(_dot_)pp(_dot_)se