Re: Requirement to go to meetings

2011-10-24 12:36:02
At 05:52 24-10-2011, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
As jabber scribe, I view part of my responsibility as relaying questions asked on jabber (if no one else is doing so). For groups that have secretaries, I suggest that that be part of the secretary's responsibilities.

The secretary is busy taking minutes. That doesn't mean that the secretary cannot draw attention if someone is asking a question on Jabber. The audio recording is a handy supplement when the speaker cannot be identified or to cross-check the details.

As for remote participation, if you do not know anyone in the room you are going to be ignored. That's an IETF feature that also applies for people who attend meetings. There are little things that can help remote participants follow what is going on. Melinda Shore mentioned some of them. Most of the fixes are non-technical.

If you do not go to meetings, it's unlikely that you will be able to follow the BoF you are interested in. There may be times when decisions are taken during a meeting. It is not worth the nit-picking if the outcome won't change.

Regards,
-sm