RE: Requirement to go to meetings

2011-10-24 23:32:42
Here's another post out of left field.

It seems to me that in order to solve the problem of remote participation in
meetings, we need to decide what it means to participate in a meeting.  It
seems to me that the important characteristic of a meeting is that one
person speaks at a time.  In WG meetings, one person presents and then
others que up at a mic for comments/questions.  The issues I've seen only
relate to the comment/question part.

One group of comments deals with the difficulty of the current jabber setup
to allow comments/questions to become the focus, the "one person speaking".
Perhaps this could be worked out with some kind of enforced protocol, such
that mic speakers' questions/comments are interleaved with jabber
questions/comments in some way.  I think, though, it would be harder to
follow threads of thought in this way, especially if there are many jabber
questions/comments that come in on a specific topic while mic speakers start
to follow a different issue.  Some kind of policing where issues are
discussed sequentially might help, but might be too restricting.  Maybe it
would be better to take thread discussions off the mic at some point and use
some kind of forum software?

A second problem is the use of jabber to discuss offline what speakers are
discussing.  It seems to me that this is a direct contradiction to what is
supposed to occur in a meeting, where one person speaks at a time.

I've never used Webex, so I can't comment on its applicability.  It seems to
me that jabber is not the right tool for remote meeting participation.  It
probably works fine for meeting monitoring along with the audio, but seems
to fall short for remote meeting participation without some kind of enforced
meeting protocol.  Is what Melinda described enough?  Should there be some
kind of media Sargent-At-Arms enforcing Robert's 21st Century Rules?

Jabber seems to be important for the scribe task.  That's not something to
be taken lightly.  In fact, the whole issue of what the meeting record
should be is taken too lightly, in my opinion.  Should it be the audio with
scribe comments, plus the Jabber record?  If that's the case, a person
looking up the meeting would need the audio and the scribe/jabber comments.
Should it be the scribe notes, which can be undependable, even with the
jabber comments?  Should we be looking at voice-to-text more seriously?

Seems to me that this is a universal problem that someone should have
solved.  If not, it's a great opportunity.