Re: Requirement to go to meetings

2011-10-24 13:36:15
On 10/24/2011 10:17 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
The biggest challenge is however that we are seeing a massive increase
in "Bar-BOFs"... it's one thing if 5 people get together to figure out a
problem statement, it's another when it's announced...

Yes!  As a process matter I'd be happy to see "Bar BOFs" go away
as a supported activity.  I'm unclear on why writing up a problem
statement and trying to gin up discussion on a mailing list is
no longer sufficient, but I think it's pretty clearly a symptom
of process drift.

I tend to think the whole clouds/data center mishegas would be
going a lot better if they'd followed the conventional process
and started with a problem definition (and scoping, for Pete's
sake: *scoping*) rather than giving a bunch of non-technical
presentations at so-called "Bar BOFs," trying to develop interest.
I could be wrong but my sense is that the semi-recognized
partly-supported somewhat-organized insufficiently-coherent
inching-towards-acceptance Bar BOF structure provides a
little too much organizational support for ideas that are less
than fully-formed.  And yeah, since remote meeting tools aren't
provided (audio, in particular) people do need to attend in
person if they want to participate in one of those things.

Melinda