Re: Virtual Water Coolers

2011-10-28 09:49:07
Cool idea.  I would hang out if other people did.

+1 to using protocols other than email for ephemeral discussions such as these
:)

--Richard

On Oct 28, 2011, at 5:03 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:

On Wed Oct 26 17:30:04 2011, John C Klensin wrote:
As others have pointed out, that doesn't solve the "water
cooler" problem.  It would probably require some rethinking of
how we handle BOFs, WG creation, and other tasks.

Creating a virtual water cooler is possible - XMPP chatrooms do provide this
pretty well - but there's a cultural shift required that requires effort to
put into place.

I think we could probably get this going to some degree if we [for any value
of we] simply stated that we'd hang about in the relevent chatrooms. For me
(being a woolly apps kind of guy) that'd presumably be
hallway(_at_)jabber(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org and
apparea(_at_)jabber(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org - I note there's even people in the
latter.

Any reasonable XMPP client will include support for automatically joining
chatrooms. For anyone here interested, it's "Bookmarks" - XEP-0048, typically
stored in XEP-0049, for which you'll need server-side support - GTalk won't
quite cut it, I'm afraid.

These things need a critical mass - a solid group of regulars in the chatroom
who're willing to basically hang around and chat - but it's possible, and - I
think - worthwhile whatever we do. So I've just bookmarked said rooms with
auto-join to see what happens.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)dave(_dot_)cridland(_dot_)net