Re: Virtual Water Coolers

2011-10-28 16:51:14
There's a reason we use email here. It's called time zones.
Jabber doesn't work when people are spread across all time
zones.

There are forum-style mechanisms that also avoid the time zone
problem, but I've never found them as convenient as threaded
email.

 Brian (Saturday morning, 10:50 a.m)

On 2011-10-29 04:54, Dave Cridland wrote:
On Fri Oct 28 15:48:50 2011, Richard L. Barnes wrote:
Cool idea.  I would hang out if other people did.

There are 5 people in hallway(_at_)jabber(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org now. Hardly a
critical
mass, but it may be sufficient to count as "other people", at least.

+1 to using protocols other than email for ephemeral discussions such
as these :)

For it to take over as the discussion venue of first resort, you really
need a situation where mentioning something in the chatroom makes you
feel like you've adequately vented. That implies you need not only a
reasonable number of people, but the kind of people you wanted to raise
the issue in front of.

Of course, we could even discuss this in
hallway(_at_)jabber(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org now.

Dave.