Re: Requirement to go to meetings

2011-10-24 07:49:40
On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Dave CROCKER <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

It's really not that big a deal.  Make sure that audio is working,
that there's a Jabber scribe/Jabber room watcher

 I have a concrete suggestion for WG chairs: don't ask for a "Jabber
scribe" (which makes it sound as if the hapless volunteer needs to type
everything that's said into the chatroom) but instead ask for someone to
relay comments from the chatroom to the mic.

Basic question:  what has been the claimed purpose for doing jabber
scribing?

I thought it was a means of produce raw minutes.  A side -- and sometimes
extremely valuable -- benefit is as a relatively real-time alternative
source of information about what is being spoken; this can be quite helpful
for participants who are not native English speakers.

That is how I use it. In that interpretation, there only needs to be one
scribe, with is an advantage.

Another BIG advantage of this is that if I write (as a jabber scribe)
something like

Audience member ? : this proposal conflicts with RFC <mumble>

I am likely to get a rapid response providing what <mumble> means and who
the speaker is. After the fact, this sort of thing is much harder to
reconstruct.

A disadvantage is that it typically overwhelms normal discussion on the
jabber channel. I have suggested that each
session get _2_ jabber channels, one for chat, one for scribing, but so far
this has not gotten any support.

Regards
Marshall

If neither of these purposes are worth the effort, then your suggestion
sounds dandy.  If either is sufficiently valuable, then my question is why
your groups haven't needed them.  (I'm expecting the answer to be that your
groups didn't feel the need; so my real question is why not?)

d/

--

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking