Re: Requirement to go to meetings

2011-10-24 07:56:24
On 10/24/11 05:49 , Thomas Nadeau wrote:

On Oct 24, 2011, at 8:37 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

It's really not that big a deal.  Make sure that audio is
working, that there's a Jabber scribe/Jabber room watcher
I have a concrete suggestion for WG chairs: don't ask for a
"Jabber scribe" (which makes it sound as if the hapless volunteer
needs to type everything that's said into the chatroom) but
instead ask for someone to relay comments from the chatroom to
the mic.

Basic question:  what has been the claimed purpose for doing jabber
scribing?

I thought it was a means of produce raw minutes.  A side -- and
sometimes extremely valuable -- benefit is as a relatively
real-time alternative source of information about what is being
spoken; this can be quite helpful for participants who are not
native English speakers.

If neither of these purposes are worth the effort, then your
suggestion sounds dandy.  If either is sufficiently valuable, then
my question is why your groups haven't needed them.  (I'm expecting
the answer to be that your groups didn't feel the need; so my real
question is why not?)

The problem with Jabber is that it has become an apparently
replacement for audio/video conversation/Q&A at WG meetings for
remote participants.   I find the jabber feed to be relatively
useless at meetings for this purpose as the chairs do not always
notice questions. Using something like WebEx is far more useful, and
I'd suggest making it mandatory for all WG meetings in the near
future to better facilitate remote participants.

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vmeet/current/msg00232.html

--Tom

d/

--

Dave Crocker Brandenburg InternetWorking bbiw.net