Re: Requirement to go to meetings

2011-10-27 00:43:35
On 10/24/2011 07:16 PM, SM wrote:

If you do not go to meetings, it's unlikely that you will be able to
follow the BoF you are interested in. There may be times when decisions
are taken during a meeting. It is not worth the nit-picking if the
outcome won't change.

As BoFs are held in early stages of development, there's unlikely to be much funding for it, no budgets approved yet etc. So, at the BoF there'll be couple of experts who managed to get the funding and random selection of IETF folks who drop in just because they happen to be around.

That can be either bad thing (too few experts, no good estimate about participation in the potential working group) or a good thing (random selection of IETF participants tests the sanity of the proposal).

In the former case it would be better to hold BoFs via conference calls or similar means. In the latter case the existing model works OK.

For example: We have a discussion group of ~50 people that we would like to change to IETF WG, however, it's not likely more than 2-3 people would be able to get to the BoF in person.

Martin