RE: Requirement to go to meetings

2011-10-27 10:54:10
I very much agree that community input is required for nomcom to make good
choices. There is no way that any one nomcom member could possibly know every
candidate for every position.

And yes, right now is the time to give input.

Thanks, Ross

From: Mary Barnes [mailto:mary(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)barnes(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:39 AM
To: Ross Callon
Cc: Peter Saint-Andre; John C Klensin; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Requirement to go to meetings

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Ross Callon
<rcallon(_at_)juniper(_dot_)net<mailto:rcallon(_at_)juniper(_dot_)net>> wrote:
Mary;

Would you want the comments that are currently sent in privately to nomcom to
become public, or do you want the voters to make their choices without hearing
these comments?

Ross

[MB] No, I do not think the comments should be public.  My point was that there
is such a small percentage of the community that even provides input that it is
really difficult to make really good decisions with that information.  Each
nomcom asks for detailed feedback, but it is rare to get feedback that provides
concrete examples of why person x is the best choice for a position.  That
makes the job of the Nomcom extremely difficult and is one of the reasons why
the decisions can be far from perfect.

The primary problem with the current Nomcom model that can't be fixed by a
process change is the lack of community input (Note: there is still time for
folks to provide that input for this year's Nomcom!!!)  So, I consider voting
to be an easy way for folks to express an opinion without providing details -
it at least could hopefully broaden community participation because it takes
far less effort.

[/MB]

Regards,
Mary.