Re: Requirement to go to meetings

2011-10-26 22:20:53

On 10/27/2011 5:00 AM, Ross Callon wrote:
Mary;

Would you want the comments that are currently sent in privately to nomcom to
become public, or do you want the voters to make their choices without hearing
these comments?

The general implication of Ross's question comes from the entirely predictable fact that most folk in the IETF are not all that involved with more than a narrow range of other folk and do not know much about IETF management, or even that much about process.

Nomcom creates a small group of folk who spend a great deal of time getting much, much more familiar with people, tasks, requirements and process. It does this at massive effort cost to those doing the actual work, of course, and it certainly would be nice to find ways to reduce that work. (My own preference continues to be to ensure that a portion of Nomcom voting members has direct experience doing IETF management tasks, producing RFCs and equivalent, deeper involvement in the IETF; that is, ensuring that the voting members are guaranteed a base level of knowledge about the IETF.)

I'm hard-pressed to see how an IETF-wide voting mechanism will produce better results than the current Nomcom process. It would be a simpler, less stressful process, but it would also be less informed.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking