Re: Requirement to go to meetings

2011-10-24 09:22:18

"Dave" == Dave CROCKER <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> writes:
    >> I find the jabber feed to be relatively useless at meetings for
    >> this purpose as the chairs do not always notice questions.

    Dave> This goes back to the question of methodology for chairing group
activities,
    Dave> whether f2f or on a mailing list.

    Dave> In special cases, a group does not need to be (actively) managed
(e.g., by a
    Dave> chair) but normally it does.  The rest of the time, active management
is
    Dave> essential, which then leads to the question of methodology.

    Dave> A small, well-behaved, knowledgeable group, working on a reasonably
    Dave> well-understood topic, typically needs minimal management.  The IETF
does
    Dave> sometimes have such a group, but not often.

    Dave> Large, well-behaved groups that are motivated to make progress
typically need
    Dave> only basic, textbook process management methods.

    Dave> Less well-behaved groups needs stricter management.  Predictably this
is
    Dave> where we tend to see large differences among chair skillsets.  (The
challenge
    Dave> is both being willing to be strict, and the particular methods used
for
    Dave> strictness.)

    Dave> What is being layed on top of this range, here, is the multi-media
challenge
    Dave> of remote/local participation.  As noted, that's a matter of
attention to the
    Dave> fact of this challenge and adjusting.

    Dave> Simplistically, my own observation is that when chairs put energy into
    Dave> worrying about including remote participants -- unless the room is
    Dave> cantankerous -- things go rather better for the remote folk.  When
the chairs
    Dave> do no pay ongoing attention to the inclusion of remote folk, then the
remote
    Dave> folk lose.

My belief is that a properly done (researched and taught, with some
technology to help reinforce the social contract) remote participation
process will in fact *help* weaker chairs deal with less well-behaved
groups.

I'm claiming that not only do remote folks benefit, but local folks
benefit too!

] mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.