Re: IETF 82 Audio Streaming

2011-11-02 09:40:24

I think this whole thread is based on a misunderstanding.

The IETF provides a Jabber/XMPP server with chat rooms for each session.  You
can use your own Jabber/XMPP client to access it, through an XMPP provider of
your choosing such as jabber.org.  Now imagine jabber.org decided to *also*
provide a web-based interface for chat, so you could use your browser instead
of an XMPP client, if you the user wanted to.  Imagine if to do that,
jabber.org had to use a java applet because the browser couldn't natively do
what needed to be done with Javascript/HTML.

That's basically what's going on here.  Meetecho supports multimedia access to
IETF sessions using your own SIP/RTSP client.  But they also want to let users
use their browser for the session, if the user doesn't have a SIP/RTSP client.
Since browsers don't support WebRTC yet (because WebRTC is still being
standardized), nor do many browsers even support HTML-5 yet, Meetecho has to
use an applet/plugin model.

Meanwhile, I haven't heard anyone raise complaints about WebEx, which is not
only a proprietary solution, but also requires installing a plugin.  Is that ok
because it's Cisco?  Meetecho, in case you didn't know, is also run by folks
who are active IETF participants in the RAI Area, and are authors of several
Working Group and individual drafts.

They spend their own money providing this service to the community, and unlike
Cisco the cost is not a rounding error on their coffee budget. (not that I
don't appreciate Cisco providing WebEx - I do)

The more ways people can access IETF meetings the better!

-hadriel