Re: IETF 82 Audio Streaming

2011-11-02 11:40:50

On Nov 2, 2011, at 11:45 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:

Out of curiosity, if it's just another client, why is it being
promoted the way it is?

It's not a client.  The Meetecho sessions use our own IETF standards to let
remote participants hear the audio, see the presentation slides, and see a live
video in the room, all at the same time in real-time.  You can use your own
client - or you can view it in a browser using an applet.

The cool thing is that you can even see all this after the meetings in the
recorded sessions, including the jabber session, all synchronized with each
other.  I found that quite useful to view the recordings of WG sessions I
missed due to conflicting WG session times.  (and I will admit I viewed other
WG sessions while sitting in a different WG at the same time, due to those
conflicts)

The IETF's audio recordings are good too, but having the synchronized audio,
slides and room-video was even better.

An additional benefit is the meetecho recordings split each WG session
recording into the separate agenda items/presentations as separate links, so
you can go right to the one you want to view; and you don't need a decoder-ring
to figure out which stream to play for which WG session.

-hadriel
p.s. I have no affiliation with Meetecho, other than knowing some of them from
IETF involvement, and using their IETF meeting recordings.