Re: The US Federal Communications Commission just sent the IETF RAI/SIPcommunity an early Christmas present...

2011-11-02 22:01:46
Thanks for sharing this important development Richard.

I do not know what  is the meaning of the sentence,

"we expect all carriers to negotiate in good faith in response to requests for
IP-to-IP interconnection for the exchange of voice traffic."

Does anyone have insight?

George T. Willingmyre, P.E.
President, GTW Associates
Spencerville, MD USA 20868
301.421.4138
www.gtwassociates.com
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Shockey
  To: 'IETF-Discussion list'
  Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 7:06 PM
  Subject: The US Federal Communications Commission just sent the IETF
RAI/SIPcommunity an early Christmas present...

  Folks it was suggested that I resend this message from the RAI list to the
Full Dispatch list but what the heck ...  the IETF community needs to see this.

  What you see here is a very significant policy direction from the US Federal
Communications Commission to the IETF/SIP/RAI community.

  Mandatory IP interconnection between carriers for E.164 named Voice. In
addition there are clauses that mandate non modification of the calling parties
E.164 number in the headers.

  This should come as no surprise to anyone.  Our international carrier
partners at  i3Forum.org have been preaching this for some time.

  From the FCC executive summary of the Report and Order.

  26. IP-to-IP Interconnection. We recognize the importance of interconnection

  competition and the associated consumer benefits. We anticipate that the
reforms we adopt will

  further promote the deployment and use of IP networks, and seek comment in
the accompanying

  FNPRM regarding the policy framework for IP-to-IP interconnection. We also
make clear that

  even while our FNPRM is pending, we expect all carriers to negotiate in good
faith in response to

  requests for IP-to-IP interconnection for the exchange of voice traffic.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db1027/DOC-310692A1.pdf

  http://www.snrdenton.com/news__insights/alerts/2011-10-28_overhaul.aspx

  http://www.dwt.com/LearningCenter/Advisories?find=441777

  I wish to make it clear that I'm personally willing to privately discuss with
the technical community how we can transition our industry to the all SIP
network.

  If you want to speculate on how you translate a E.164 number to a point of
interconnection ..you can,  but RFC 6116 is not a bad starting point though
Global SPID identifiers would work.  ( I gladly gave up my blue dot recently)

  We won!

  Richard Shockey
  Shockey Consulting
  Chairman of the Board of Directors SIP Forum
  PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683
  <mailto:richard(at)shockey.us>
  skype-linkedin-facebook: rshockey101
  http//www.sipforum.org