RE: The US Federal Communications Commission just sent the IETF RAI/SIPcommunity an early Christmas present...

2011-11-03 21:14:42

Richard Shockey <richard(_at_)shockey(_dot_)us> wrote:
From: George Willingmyre [mailto:gtw(_at_)gtwassociates(_dot_)com]

I do not know what is the meaning of the sentence,

"we expect all carriers to negotiate in good faith in response to
requests
for IP-to-IP interconnection for the exchange of voice traffic."

Does anyone have insight?

I read it  "If you don't play nice .. we're going to make you."  You are
going to eat your Broccoli and like it and no whining ..

   Hopefully someone better informed than I will respond, but I have
dealt in FCC-speak... :^(

   IMHO, they're talking "obligation to interconnect" between "carriers"
as required by actual law.
[RS> ] In FCC terms this is Section 251 of the US Communications Act which
"the call must go through" mandatory interconnection.

   "interconnect" in FCC-speak means exchange voice traffic at a
"feasible" point. "Carriers" means a regulated voice provider.

[RS> ] Yea now we need to find out what is "feasible" IP interconnection.
Welcome to DC!

   Thus, they mean to "expect" these regulated entities to negotiate
a point of interconnection where they speak IP instead of e.g. SONET.

[RS> ] SIP-I IMHO but that has yet to be determined and will be the subject
of lots of proceedings.

   And, yes, they will (eventually) force them to interconnect (using
IP) whether or not the "negotiations" succeed.

   Speaking only for myself, I don't read it to impose anything except
on regulated "carriers", and they're opening up themselves to forcing
a particular mechanism and point of connection when negotiation fails.

[RS> ] E.164 named traffic is the clear focus. The FCC Pulver order for OTT
voice seems to be excluded. We'll see when the final Order is published but
it's pretty clear that this is not just a US issue but will ultimately
resonate in Canada and EC as well.

This, of course, creates an opportunity to educate FCC folks on the
actual technical issues of voice interchange at IP level...

[RS> ] I'm happy to point out how you all can file ex parte statements to
the Commission. I'm sure they would be delighted to hear from the technical
community.

http://www.fcc.gov/topic/ex-parte

When the final Order is released ..have a ball. Its easy its fun ..

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>