Recent ITU Newslog Article Regarding MPLS-TP

2011-11-15 04:26:50
I am sending this note to make sure that everyone is aware of the recent
article.  I understand that some people felt the article was unclear, and I
hope the following note helps.

Russ

Begin forwarded message:

From: Russ Housley <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com>
Date: November 15, 2011 5:23:15 AM EST
To: Malcolm Johnson <Malcolm(_dot_)Johnson(_at_)itu(_dot_)int>
Subject: Re: MPLS

Dear Malcolm:

http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/newslog/Statement+Ahead+Of+IETF+Meeting.aspx

Thanks for getting this posted.  It has already gotten a lot of visibility.

Just to make sure that we are on the same page, I'd like to repeat two things
that came up while we were drafting the newslog article.  These also reflect
the IETF's understanding of the newslog article.  I'll forward this note to
the IETF participants to be sure that we're all in sync here.

First, the text of the newslog article re-affirms the JWT agreement from 2008
as captured in RFC 5317.  In particular, the IETF standards process will
continue to be used for all MPLS-TP architecture and protocol documents.

Second, since G.8113.1 contains a protocol that is not a product of the IETF
standards process, it cannot be a part of MPLS-TP according to the conditions
of the JWT agreement and the newslog article.  The IETF anticipates one of
the following actions will be taken to conform to this agreement.  Either (1)
G.8113.1 will be withdrawn, or (2) the title of G.8113.1 will be changed, and
the content will be revised to reflect that it is not included as part of
MPLS or MPLS-TP protocol suite..

Also, thanks for sending me the TD527/P document from the SG15 Chairman.  I
note that it proposes the progression of both G.8113.1 and G.8113.2 as MPLS
standards.  This approach is not consistent with the JWT agreement or the
newslog article.

I believe this is a constructive step forward.  I look forward to a
resolution that fully respects the JWT agreement and moves our two
organizations further toward collaborative standards development.

Russ