Re: text/lp [was Re: discouraged by .docx was Re: Plagued by PPTX again]

2011-11-27 12:37:16

--On Sunday, November 27, 2011 08:20 -0800 Marc Petit-Huguenin
<petithug(_at_)acm(_dot_)org> wrote:

The problem here is that RFC and Internet-Drafts are not plain
ASCII.  They are technically in a special format that I would
call "line-printer ready text file", and ASCII is the
encoding, not the format.  What is needed is:

- - A mime-type for line-printer ready text (say text/lp)
- - An heuristic to recognize text/lp files (it's too late for
a specific extension).  Apache HTTP server can use the AddType
directive for these files[1]. - - A program to display text/lp
files, one at least for each platform.  If someone take care
of the mime-type, I'll write the program to display correctly
text/lp files on the Android platform.

Out of curiosity (and again my better judgment about getting
further involved in this discussion), why do you think

  text/lp
is needed and not
  text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"; format=lp"
?

(please read RFC 3676 before answering -- it is not clear to me
that

   format="fixed"

would not do as well, possibly supplemented by an additional
"line length" parameter.

best,
   john