Re: text/lp [was Re: discouraged by .docx was Re: Plagued by PPTX again]

2011-11-27 13:20:49

On 11/27/2011 10:36 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Sunday, November 27, 2011 08:20 -0800 Marc Petit-Huguenin
<petithug(_at_)acm(_dot_)org> wrote:

The problem here is that RFC and Internet-Drafts are not plain
ASCII.  They are technically in a special format that I would
call "line-printer ready text file", and ASCII is the
encoding, not the format.  What is needed is:

- - A mime-type for line-printer ready text (say text/lp)
- - An heuristic to recognize text/lp files (it's too late for
a specific extension).  Apache HTTP server can use the AddType
directive for these files[1]. - - A program to display text/lp
files, one at least for each platform.  If someone take care
of the mime-type, I'll write the program to display correctly
text/lp files on the Android platform.

Out of curiosity (and again my better judgment about getting
further involved in this discussion), why do you think

  text/lp
is needed and not
  text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"; format=lp"
?

Did not think of that, that's better IMO.  Apache can do this (the link I gave
in a previous email is now returning "text/plain; format=lp; charset=us-ascii").

But this creates practical issues.  My browser is not capable of assigning a
specific helper to "text/plain; format=lp", say /usr/bin/qrfcview (i.e.
different from "text/plain; format=fixed" which in my case would be assigned to
/usr/bin/gvim).  An Android app would have the same issue as I guess many other
platforms.  It is the display application that will have to use this parameter
to select the display mode, so instead of having an additional program per
platform that displays the text/lp type, we will need to modify all applications
that can render text/plain so they can correctly interpret the format=lp
parameter.

(please read RFC 3676 before answering -- it is not clear to me
that

   format="fixed"

would not do as well, possibly supplemented by an additional
"line length" parameter.

What would be missing is an indication that only a fixed font must be used.

- --
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Personal email: marc(_at_)petit-huguenin(_dot_)org
Professional email: petithug(_at_)acm(_dot_)org
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org