Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-28 14:43:09
Hi John,

On 2011-11-28 19:40 John C Klensin said the following:

--On Monday, November 28, 2011 19:20 +0100 Henrik Levkowetz
<henrik(_at_)levkowetz(_dot_)com> wrote:

I've set the converter ('unoconv', which uses libreoffice) up
to convert to PDF/A, but the converter doesn't always fully
succeed in producing valid PDF/A (also mentioned by Robinson
in one of his posts) -- the result still works fine in the
viewer I've tested, though.

Henrik,

This is wonderful.  Many thanks.

One small suggestion, partially prompted by my attempts to
convert PDF and Postscript RFCs to PDF/A: when the converter
cannot or does not succeed in producing valid PDF/A, could that
fact be logged in some accessible place?

I would if I could; the problem is that the converter produces a
pdf document without giving any indication that the result won't
validate as PDF/A -- it's only when trying it with one of the online
validators that I get a message that it fails validation.  If at
some point I find a (free) command-line validator, I can however
easily run it on the existing corpus and get the desired information.

If, at some point in
the future, we decided to push PDF/A harder, it would be handy
to know what existing files needed attention and why, rather
than having to discover that the hard way.

Understood, but right now the only avenue open to me for this is
manual checking with one of the online validators :-(

Also, mostly out of curiosity, does "unoconv" produce profile 1a
or profile 1b?

The validator tells me that the files which validate does so against
both A-1a and A-1b, which if I understand things correctly indicate
that it's 1a-compliant, since 1b is a subset of 1a.  This also
matches what libreoffice is supposed to produce.

Best regards,

        Henrik

    again thanks,
     john