Re: An Antitrust Policy for the IETF

2011-11-28 14:59:07
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 2:35 PM, GTW <gtw(_at_)gtwassociates(_dot_)com> wrote:

**
Ted, I like your approach of enquiring what problem we are striving to
solve and I like Russ's concise answer that it is "Recent suits against
other SDOs that  is the source of the concern"

Russ, what are  some of the  "Recent suits against other SDOs"  It would
be good to pin down the problem we are addressing

There is  FTC and N-data matter from 2008
http://www.gtwassociates.com/alerts/Ndata1.htm

George -- one recent example is the pending antitrust suit by True Position
against ETSI, 3GPP and several of their members (who also employ some IETF
participants, I believe).  Here is some relevant language from the
Complaint:

"100.   By their failures to monitor and enforce the SSO Rules, and to
respond to TruePosition's  specific complaints concerning violations of the
SSO Rules, 3GPP and ETSI have acquiesced in, are responsible for, and
complicit in, the abuse of authority and anticompetitive conduct by
Ericsson, Qualcomm, and Alcatel-Lucent.  These failures have resulted in
the issuance of a Release 9 standard tainted by these unfair processes, and
for the delay until Release 11, at the earliest, of a 3GPP standard for
UTDOA positioning technology.  By these failures, 3GPP and ETSI have
authorized and ratified the anticompetitive conduct of Ericsson, Qualcomm,
and Alcatel-Lucent and have joined in and become parties to their
combination and conspiracy."