Re: An Antitrust Policy for the IETF

2011-11-28 13:04:39
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:50 AM, IETF Chair <chair(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:

The IETF legal counsel and insurance agent suggest that the IETF ought to
have an antitrust policy.  To address this need, a lawyer is needed.  As a
way forward, I suggest that IASA pay a lawyer to come up with an initial
draft, and then this draft be brought to the community for review and
comment (and probably revision).  I think a new mail list should be used
for the discussion.  Once the new mail list reaches rough consensus on the
antitrust policy document, I suggest using the usual process for adopting
the policy as an IETF BCP.

What do others think?  I am open to suggestions for an alternative
approach.

Sorry, can you expand on the threat model here?  Are we developing one in
order to defend against some specific worry about our not having one?
Because it has become best practice in other SDOs?  Because the insurance
agent wishes to see something in particular?

I hesitate to develop something that we have not needed in the past unless
it is clear what benefit it gives us.  In particular, if we develop one
without some particular characteristic, do we lose the benefits of being
where we are now?

regards,

Ted

Russ