Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-11-29 02:37:17
At 18:43 28-11-2011, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
IMNSHO it would have been much better if the IAB had agreed that this
allocation was a policy matter to be left to IANA and the RIRs under
Clause 4.3 of RFC 2860 . Since the IAB chose to define it as a technical
allocation, it is the IETF that has to take responsibility, and it is a
lose-lose game for us. Whatever we decide is wrong.

I support Brian's comments.

FWIW, IANA does not do policy. The amended IANA RFP is explicit about that. The IAB did not make any determination about draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request. As such, it can disclaim any responsibility and go by IETF Consensus.

Some of the points raised during IESG evaluation have not been addressed, i.e. the application angle, which is about NAT detection code and not 6to4. Some of the arguments made in RFC 1627 might be an eye-opener. BTW, RFC 6269 was published in June 2011. The down-ref was not called out during the Last Call.

If the message from the sponsoring AD is about a determination of consensus, please note that I am against the publication of the draft as a BCP.

Regards,
-sm