RE: Last Call: <draft-kucherawy-dkim-atps-11.txt> (DKIM Authorized Third-Party Signers) to Experimental RFC

2011-11-30 22:26:06
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John Levine
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:04 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-kucherawy-dkim-atps-11.txt> (DKIM Authorized
Third-Party Signers) to Experimental RFC

I'm one of the authors of RFC 5617, which this document would update if
it moved into the standards track.  It doesn't seem very useful to me,
but it also seems mostly harmless so there's no reason not to publish
it as experimental.

This strikes me a hack that appeals primarily to bulk mail senders who
grossly overestimate how interested receivers are in helping them do
their mail management.  So I would be surprised if there were many
receiver-side implementations, but it's an experiment so what the heck.

As the draft says, the point is to make the idea available and see if it sticks
to anyone or anything.  If the bulk senders (or receivers) do decide they
collectively want this, there's something for them to try and report back.

"No actions are required by IANA at this time.  The following need
only be applied if and when this specification reaches the Standards
Track."

I would strongly suggest changing the IANA section so that the DKIM-
Signature tags in section 8.4 are registered when this is published.
Tags are text strings, and I'd rather the tags it uses be noted and
reserved so that nobody uses them for something else in the future and
risks collisions.  For the same reason, it'd probably be a good idea to
register the authentication-results tags described in sections 8.2 and
8.3.

I'd be fine with that, so long as experimental-status drafts are allowed to
make IANA registrations.  (I thought they weren't, which is why it is the way
it is right now.)

Thanks,
-MSK